BPAA Events Policy
Policy related to protection of minors at BPAA sponsored events.
To provide for the safety of minors and to offer protection from liability to the BPAA and its members who conduct programs for children, the BPAA adopts the following policy.
1. A minimum of two adults must be present and in direct supervision of minors who attend BPAA sponsored events and education programs. If more than 12 minors are in attendance a ratio of one adult per six minors will be required.
2. No minor will be allowed to operate power tools, including the drill press and electric saws, and any other motor powered shop equipment. Exceptions may be granted by the BPAA board for motor powered equipment considered low hazard such as small hand held drills. When using low hazard equipment minors must be under adult supervision and wear protective safety equipment such as eye wear and ear protection.
3. Minors will not be allowed on the upper floors of the Ritchie Observatory unless under adult supervision
4. The BPAA board may require background checks for BPAA members who conduct and participate in BPAA sponsored programs for minors. Members will be notified of this requirement and no background check will be conducted without the consent of the adult member. The board has the discretion to deny participation in a program by an adult member who does not consent to a background check.
5. The BPAA board may require additional specific administrative procedures to be implemented by BPAA program managers for the protection of minors.
- Supervision means actively involved in directing program activities or observing the activities.
- Minor means a person under the age of 16 years.
- Adult means a person over the age of 18 years.
- For purposes of this policy the board with recommendations from program managers may allow persons between the ages of 16 and 18 years of age to supervise programs for minors.